Thursday, January 1, 2015

Rabbit, Rabbit and a Happy New Year.

I suppose I owe you a belated Mele Kalikimaka, and a cheers to 2015; Merry Christmas, a Happy Hanukkah and Happy Kwanzaa. OH, and IT'S 2015! Holy crap time flies when you're having fun.

Growing up, I always cried when the ball would drop, signaling the end of a year and the beginning of a new one. I didn't like change, I enjoyed the status quo, the static regularity of the daily normal. Since getting married though, I have to admit, my tears would come not out of the loss of the status quo, but the idea that time is just going by so quickly, I hope that I am actually enjoying, living, and making the most of all of it. This year, however, not a tear came to my eye.

Today is one of my most favorite days of the year; RB and I sit in jammies all day, go nowhere, talk to no one, watch bowl games, the Hockey Winter Classic, eat whatever is in the house and just enjoy being with one another for another years start. Today, while being comforted by RB's light napping snores on the couch, I am able to think closely about the year that has just past, (and, every year prior to this one). RB and I have been through so much as a couple, as people, as professionals, as everything we are, and I can't help but smile when I think about how wonderful it is to have gone through it all when we did, because I want nothing more than to always face life's ups and downs, good times and bad with him by my side. I am so very fortunate. I used to be annoyed that it took me so long to feel this way, but hey, better late than never. We have so much to look forward to this year, and I'm starting to feel more like the person I am, and the person I want to be with each passing day. I used to keep so much to myself, and now, I share it with RB and that too, has made us better than we ever were.

This year was no exception for us as people, with it's ups and downs, my heart was broken a few times this year, and also, my heart was filled with so much love, and admiration I thought it might burst. I learned so much about people, and myself, and I appreciate how I am never to old to be taught a lesson of any kind. I saw and heard many beautiful and ugly things, I can differentiate between the two. I have realized who has earned my time and devotion, and who simply can survive on the bare minimum from me.

As I sit, listening (still) to RB's light snoring, and the sounds of a bowl game, I feel the kicks of "Iggy" always letting me know that I am never alone, and never again will I be. Although I may be content with the status quo, I'm looking forward to new adventures and things never being static, regular, boring, mundane ever again. We are going places, we are making things happen and letting them happen for us too. All this is why a tear never made it to my eye.

I wish you nothing but light, love, happiness, health and adventure in 2015, and in every year to come. Cheers to you, go have one for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment