Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Ironman Chronicles

this july marked my dad's 5th IRONMAN triathlon. 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run. yup, you read that right. i have gone to spectate 3 out of the 5. every one that i have bared witness too never ceases to amaze and move me. i cannot describe the overwhelming amount of emotions i feel when i get to spectate such an event. dad doesn't like to brag, but i do. it's a rather incredible thing that he not only does them, but has done as many as he has and he still continues to train for them. the man broke his neck twice, so the sheer fact that he is alive and well is pretty amazing in it of itself; so for crying out loud, let me brag a little.

 

 it's an amazing thing watching people perform the tasks of this race. when it's over i'm moved to tears. from the start of the day at 5:15am to the end of the day around 11:15-midnight, it's a long day even as a spectator. especially when one spectates the way my mom and i do. we have it down to a science, and a work out. we figured out at the 2005 race, we walk/run/jog on average 8-15 miles; nothing of course, compared to the 170 miles that the athletes themselves do, but it's a lot which knapsacks, waiting around and cheering everyone on.

i know i have said this before, but every time one is over, i get the "ironman blues" and i don't even do the race. the "ironman blues" is usually reserved for the athletes. they get it because they aren't training as much anymore, and they are waiting for their body's to recuperate. i get it because it's so intense and thrilling, and emotionally driven. i also feel the overwhelming urge to train for one. dad keeps telling me that all i need is 12-18 months. i think i need 12-18 years, which is pretty much what's been happening. i've been training since 2003; i'm almost ready to actually commit.

training is time consuming, and i'm not always sure that i am willing to put the time in. remember i lack an addictive personality. can i really train for it? i've always told myself i want and would do one by the time i was 35, i've got 2 and 1/2 years to go, but i'm thinking maybe 2015 could be my year. we'll see how winter training goes, and if i can actually get up to running 3 miles (plus) straight. 12-18 months is all i need to be among an elite group of athletes and make my dad as proud of me as i am of him. (plus, bragging rights).

Mirror Lake, Lake Placid New York, the site of the swim leg of the IRONMAN

4 comments:

  1. I like to exercise to be healthy and likewise lack the drive to train. I'm giving myself 13 months to train for a half marathon! With your dad's experience, he could totally get you ready. I'm surprised he hasn't become your personal trainer with you stuck under his roof!

    I will be impressed when, not if, you do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dad (and mom even) were never pushers in the realm of ahtletic achievement. that they left up to me, which is why i chose in college to quit swimming after so many successful years of doing it. i don't blame them, i'm sure had i'd been pushed i would have naturally resisted. i think that dad doesn't want me to do it, he wants me to want to do it, and he's (they) will always be supportive in the quite way that they have always been.

      working out while living here is definitely slightly easier, although with everything else that needs to be done right after work, i'm often cutting out the nonessential, essential workout. it's unfortunate really, because i read somewhere once that those things you cut out thinking are the nonessentials, are usually the most essential for your own mental health. although i don't like the act of exercise, i do enjoy the results.

      thank you for the vote of confidence, i've got nothing but time.

      Delete
  2. I always resent that I feel better about myself when I exercise regularly. If only chocolate did the same thing. ;-)

    ReplyDelete