Saturday, September 1, 2012

k-2 summer school

when i started my teaching career, almost 10 years ago, i started out teaching high school leveled special education students, 14-21 years old. I taught math mostly, some years science and some years art and english. during summer school i taught high school, middle school, 2-3 grade, autistic, emotionally disturbed, and physically handicapped students. after 6 years of teaching high school i switched to elementary school. i currently teach 5/6 grade emotionally behaviorally disturbed. what that means to you is pretty much nothing, my group of students have severe emotional, behavioral and social issues, they are great! i mean that sarcastically and slightly literally. I was switched to the librarians position for the month of june because the librarian needed surgery, and it was easier to have my class get split up and me cover than pay for a sub.

i like my job, i mean if i have to work this is kinda what i'd prefer to do. anyway, like i said i work summer school, for the past few years i've had my own class during summer which totally sucks, because the enjoyable part about working summer school is a new group of kids, new problems, new place to work, but now getting stuck with your own class is like 12 months of torture. 

this summer was different. i was placed in the k-2 class emotionally disturbed class. i was scared as usual to do something new and different but i had 2 amazing paraprofessionals, and the kids although nuts sometimes were fun! so refreshing, so much fun, i actually felt like i was doing something... sometimes.we read a lot of stories, did plenty of science experiments and learned about potential and kinetic energy. we went to the playground, and park, we went for walks, and played games.  i'm not saying that i want the younger kids all i'm saying was that it was fun, and i was glad to have the opportunity to do something different. keeps me fresh, i told my principal that i must be a shirt that says one-size-fits-all because she keeps putting me in any old position she has.

I have to say with it being september 1, i am not looking forward AT ALL to going back to work. I like my days off to work out and go to the beach and not deal with fake people or crazy kids. hopefully, this year will be as much fun as this summer, with older kids. heres hoping.


No comments:

Post a Comment