Sunday, January 27, 2013

"i want to go to there."

did i ever mention that dad worked on the show "30 rock" for all of the seasons of it's inception? no? well he did, and it was my favorite job of his, and so fucking cool. when RB & i were getting married, i went to the make-up department for the show to help provide me with and teach me how to do my own make up. i have numerous items, tee-shirts, sweatshirts, posters, pictures from the show which is pretty awesome. on top of all this, the show is a great show, i'm sad to see it go, it has provided me with some amazing lines, and new vernacular that i use on the daily- "what the what?"

when the opportunity presented itself to attend the series finale's wrap party, i couldn't have been more excited. seriously, i was so excited that i couldn't sleep. i have always had dreams of hanging with tina fey, amy poehler and jimmy fallon (and of course the rest of the actual cast of the show). i want to be on t.v. i'm practically liz lemon for crying out loud, except from the writing, and single hood, and childless at 40+, i'm all about the awkward self-esteem and random one-liners.

RB didn't go, so instead JD came as my date and we had a great time, unforgettable and completely fucking awesome. we arrived to see the Saturday Night Band playing amazing blues, jazz, motown party music, tip-top shelf open bar, and delicious food. (RB regrets not coming after all, i did miss him and feel kinda bad for him, but JD enjoyed herself enough to not make me feel too bad for RB).

the cast members could be found all over the room, socializing with just about everyone. dad spoke to Jeff Richmond for a while on numerous occasions- Jeff Richmond is married to Tina Fey and did all the music for the show, not to mention he could be seen in several episodes- such a sweet and polite man who knows my dad by name. Jack McBrayer was all smiles, and Tracey Morgan showed up and socialized, took a picture with my mom, as well as Alec. Jane Krakowski was all over and such a sweet lady. The gentlemen who play Grizz "Grizz" Chapman and Kevin "Dot Com" Brown were lovely, enormous, gentlemen who said hello to everyone. JD and i were looking for dad we were approached by Kevin "Dot Com" Brown, this is how the encounter went:

Kevin Brown: Hello Ladies. You didn't work on the show did you?
JD: mouth gaping open, stunned and at a loss for words turns to me.
Me: No, my dad <pointing in dad's direction> is apart of the crew.
Kevin Brown: I thought so, i would remember girls like you. So, you're dad is R.W.S.? They crew is everything here, they are the back bone of the show. they keep the show going and we [little] actors couldn't do it without them, they truly are the show. if i haven't told your dad already please tell him again, how grateful i am to him and what a great job he did over the years.
JD: smiling.
Me: Will do. that's very nice of you to say. Thank you.
Kevin Brown: <looking JD up and down with a smile> now, you ladies enjoy yourselves tonight!
Me: Thanks, you too.

i was convinced JD was being hit on, it wouldn't be the first time, she's very attractive.

Keith "toofer" Powell told us to have a good evening after saying hello to us as if we were all old friends. these encounters, although lovely and unexpected, they were not the highlight of my evening, not by a long shot.

Tina Fey had walked past me on numerous occasions and she was close to me on the dance floor but it wasn't enough. i wanted a moment, but i wasn't going to stalk the woman. my chance came in an unexpected place. i walked out of a bathroom stall approaching a sink to wash my hands when JD catches my eye. JD is standing somewhat deer-in-headlight look, pointing in the direction of a petite woman in pants, fixing her make-up in the bathroom mirror. it was her! tina! i walked right over took my phone out and tapped her on the shoulder. I apologized for bothering her, and for interrupting her good time. she said it was ok, and then i proceeded to say, "you are one of my comedic icons, can i please take a picture with you?" tina laughed, said thank you, and of course, absolutely.

we took  a photo that some say i look like Tina's twin, or an old friend of hers. it was a great moment, i just accosted one of my favorite women in comedy in the bathroom. JD couldn't believe what i had done but i was pretty pleased with myself. <what the what?!>

nothing ruined the rest of my night. i danced with my friend, and my parents to amazing music, and had a fabulous time. i wish the show wasn't ending i feel like i could have done some great things with ms. fey.

SNL band


3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I only just read Bossypants, and I think I would die if I met Tina Fey. She's hilarious. And your picture with her is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and then I died of jealousy. For. Real.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Bossypants" is a fabulous book. I often refer to it. My Mom was actually shocked i didn't tell Tina about some of my favorite lines from the book- "Crotch Biscuits" suitable reference to the extra meat that is found at the upper thigh/crotch, especially when lying down.

    ReplyDelete