Monday, September 9, 2013

go to Hawaii. That's a direct order.

I have traveled to plenty of places on this green earth to make such a bold and direct bossy-like statement. I have seen beautiful, interesting, and historic places on this earth and I still INSIST you go to Hawaii at least once in your lifetime.

Hanalei Kauai, Hawaii

Na' Pali Coast By Air


Sunsets
Haleakala 
Duke's Oceanfest One Mile Open Water Swim
My favorite places that we saw there were Hanalei and all of Kauai, Paia in Maui, including the hike down Haleakala- a volcano who just might erupt within the next 1,000 years. Kailua, Oahu, beautiful beaches.

We did so much, and nothing all at the same time. The sun was amazing, the people are great, the food is delicious. I wasn't worried that RB wouldn't like it, I wasn't worried that being with my family for the majority of the trip would be an issue. I was pleasantly surprised by RB's enthusiasm to do things everyday, and wish he was in better shape to enjoy more of what Hawaii had to offer, I was pleasantly surprised by his growth in fondness for my family so much so that when we arrived on Oahu by ourselves he told me repeatedly that he missed them and wished they were with us still. 

I was feeling anxious over a one mile open swim race that I had registered for on Waikiki beach, because I hadn't been swimming all that often, other than that one race I did in July (finishing 3rd in my age group I might add), but after that it was limited swim training let alone, open water swim training. I didn't vomit in the beautiful Pacific, like I thought I might, and I didn't go as fast as I would have liked, but I did break 30 minutes, and finish 10th in my age group. 

RB and I have made the decision that this place is for us. We talk about keeping our tiny city apartment and saving for a Hawaiian getaway. We discuss going there on vacation from now until we find somewhere else to be. We love that place, and I can completely understand how and why my parents continue to go back. 

I know that I'll make it back to Paris eventually, but for now, I'm good with discovering all Hawaii has to offer me.

No comments:

Post a Comment