Sunday, September 8, 2013

Where did August run to?

living room view from kitchen

So I am not sure how or when it happened, but summer is pretty much over. I'm sad about it on a variety of levels. Level 1: I love summer, I love the sun, and beach, and working out and the food. Level 2: I usually plan my time better to get the most out of the summer days and I didn't do that this summer. The stress of moving, coordinating contractors, and things for renovations, a new position this summer; which I must admit was hard work, but I loved it, taking two online courses that were supposed to be not as time consuming as they turned out to, and finally going on vacation which includes planning and packing of it's own, I barely saw the beach, or sleep, or anything, and it isn't as though I have much to show for it.

hallway to bedroom and bath
with that being said I bring you to my "nightmare". It's REALLY not that bad, I promise, and I am positive that I can think of eighty different ways that these renovations could be worse in 10 seconds, however, it is certainly one of the most inconvenient things EVER. In an ideal situation, the renovations should have been done prior to us living there, but, lets face it, that would be too easy. we do not do easy, we do interesting, incredibly annoying, ridiculously stupid, fall down, laugh out loud pathetic, and sometimes utterly outrageous, but never easy. (I suppose it's better that way, makes for a more interesting life). anyway, renovations began the day after we left for Hawaii- You must go to Hawaii, thats an order. It was a Wednesday and here are a few things we were told; your bathroom will take 5-7 days, so it will be done by the time you return, the gutting of the place will be done as well and you could stay if you need to. HA HA HA HA. Hilarious. I have to admit I thought these guys would be miracle workers if that happened, and you guessed it, none of them are the next messiah.

tiny bath
do you really want to know that scope of work I am referring too? total gutting of kitchen and bathroom, new electrical, new appliances, kitchen floor, bathroom EVERYTHING, fix walls, windows, base boards, all doors need to be replaced and closets reconstructed. You know, something small and easy. I'm sure I am missing something, but does it really matter? It's supposed to take 4-5 weeks. we are currently in the middle of week three.


I still have no toilet.
guestroom/office bedroom

ugh, i can't even



master "suite"

living room view #1 from bathroom
we cannot turn on the air conditioners because of saw dust and dirt.


living room view #2

kitchen view #1 from living room
all my furniture is there, and filthy.
kitchen view from window end

kitchen view from back end
I have nothing in the kitchen. I barely have lights that work. I do however, have a new ceiling. I will have a toilet this week, maybe, and an almost completed kitchen by friday. I know nothing looks that bad in the photos, but I tell you this place was the closest thing to a shit hole as I get. between the dirt, and the dead mickey's, the cigarette and weed smoke wafting in through a hole in a kitchen cabinet from our neighbor and the cockroach that you could throw a saddle on and ride, it was horrible. It will be great, and beautiful and all those other things. For now, it's a work in progress.

So nothing says welcome home from 2 amazing weeks on vacation in Paradise like, "oh you can't live here yet, guess you'll have to find some place to go in the meantime" like your home being a construction zone. for the last 2 weeks (this tuesday) we will have been living at my parents, out of suitcases, and in their guest bedroom. Wednesday marks week 4 of renovations, and I might have to loose my shit, should it go beyond week 5... only time will tell.

check back in December for finish product pics! ha ha. maybe if you behave i'll post "in progress pics" but those are all blurry.


1 comment:

  1. Oiy. As with my movers, it would be better if they just gave you a true time estimate. Glad you guys love your parents and they live close! By December you will have earned yourself another Hawaii trip.

    ReplyDelete