Sunday, November 3, 2013

Holding out for a Hero

when I was younger I swam competitively. my sport of choice was in the water. it wasn't easy, and the team I swam for wasn't filled with a ton of nice people, although, now that I think back, I suppose they were all simply being teenagers. Nevertheless, they were mean to me, I think maybe it was because I refused to follow their rules, instead I was a Misfit, a Mismatched piece of the team puzzle. Before being that teenage misfit, I was a chubby 10 year old with little to no friends on the team. I became very good friends with a boy named Tim. To this very day, 22 years later, Tim and I are friends. The kind of friends that you know no matter what will do anything for, even if you haven't seen or spoken to in months, or years. Tim is an amazing person, his wife, Kathleen just as amazing, if not more so. They produced two beautiful boys. Owen, 2+ years old and the newest addition, Ethan 6+ months. I love them. I love them all. I want to wrap a bow around them and give them as a gift to all people who need a good set of friends.

not too long ago, I got a message from Tim telling me about Owen and some serious health issues. I was heartbroken, shocked, and didn't know how or why something like this would happen, could happen to the amazing Tim and Kathleen. How come? There is no answer why, it's just simply sad. 

Owen requires a life-saving bone marrow transplant. a hero for owen is what is necessary. In an effort to help in the only way I can, I posted pictures of Owen at work, and asked that people go donate blood, plasma, and join the bone marrow donation registry. I went just yesterday in a feeble attempt at doing my part. Tim was there, shaking hands, and talking to reporters; he looked so much older than I had remembered. I wanted to cry at the sight of him, all he did was smile at me, and apologize profusely for not being in touch these last few months, (are you kidding me Timothy?!); that's simply the kind of guy he is. 

I want nothing more than good things for them, they deserve it more than anyone I know. After seeing him yesterday though, I have realized, that as much as I do not believe in A God or The God, I do believe in faith, and that life doesn't deal you a hand it doesn't think you can't handle. You have to play the cards you're dealt as best as you know how, and realize that you can handle it, otherwise it would not be in your hands. 

Even though Tim and Kathleen can handle it, and will get through, I still go to bed at night wishing, hoping, praying for only good things for them and Owen, and even though you don't know them, won't you go and do the same? 

1 comment:

  1. I will send some positive thoughts out there for your friends family.

    ReplyDelete