Wednesday, December 11, 2013

13.1?

So, for the last few years I have been trying to learn how to run. I'm not quite there yet, small steps though. I often go out and tell myself, "one foot in front of the other". It makes total sense to me why people have always liked running. It's cathartic, soothing, and relaxing. The pounding on my body is anything but; it's painful, tight, and sometimes nauseating.

I decided that since I have a prep every day right after lunch, I would go for a "run" at lunch. sure, it's awkward for my colleagues to see me every day in running tights, and be sweaty till I get to go home, but it certainly helps me deal with the "stress" of the kids. plus my route is a pretty one.

I started over two months ago, and on average I do a 5k each time I head out. I have been adding time on two of the runs during the week and I get somewhat impressed with myself when my average mile pace drops. I usually hope to negative split the miles, and I come close, if not succeed every time.

My average pace for the last two (plus) months has been 12:17 per mile, which I am fully aware as to how slow it is, BUT, I'm running outside, hills, and even in the rain. that's the fastest I have ever "ran" out doors. Treadmill, is a different story. I'm much faster on the controlled area of the treadmill. I just don't like the treadmill nearly as much as being outside, time goes so slow inside, but the ability to stretch and shower immediately wonderful perks that running at work are lacking.

I work with a guy, nice guy, who is athletic, and does races, and he doesn't "mock" me per say, but he certainly doesn't give me any accolades for getting my chubby ass out there as much as I do. It doesn't bother me, what DOES bother me, is when he suggests he'll come out with me and never does BUT goes out for a run with some other person at work. I shouldn't say it bothers me, because it doesn't in fact "bother me". It does however, hurt my feelings. I know it's ridiculous, and maybe I'm being overly sensitive, it still stings. It stings mostly because he knows I am trying to get faster, and he knows that if he did go out with me, I'd end up chasing him,  making me inevitably become faster in the long run.


Want to know what else stings? Gaining 7 pounds! or Pulling my hamstring! It's like the more I try to "train" to get "in shape" the less likely it is to happen for me. WTF?! It's simply annoying.

I realize none of this actually matters, and it shouldn't bother me, and in actuality it doesn't. I know it doesn't, for one wonderful reason, running. My time alone. Running, as soon as I ran today all my aggravation dissipated. gone. I feel tired, but good tired, the kind of tired you earned. I still feel chubby, but that's just me, but with each run I feel stronger. I hope that I can reintroduce lifting, and swimming once the new year arrives, (after all the new ink additions have healed and can be submerged in water).


Dad approached me about 2 weeks ago asking if I wanted to do a race up in Lake Placid come May. I said sure. I always say "sure" when it comes to my dad, anything to spend extra time with him, and make him proud of course. I was saying "sure" to a half marathon. He assures me I can complete it. He assures me I can "train" for it. My dad never lies to me, so I'm going to have to believe him on this one. Maybe this is the small 13.1 mile step I need to take, to get me to finally train for the mother of all races...

2 comments:

  1. Um, Awesome. You, not that 'nice' guy you work with who doesn't think about what he says and does. And also that you run so frequently and signed up for a half. You're ahead of me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a simple solution would have been to not suggest that you go when you see me leaving the building. I'd much prefer to be by myself, trust me. he really isn't a bad guy, he's just a regular guy. We'll see about that 13.1, i'm pretty pathetic, and 13.1 seems crazy, AND the 13.1 is the same day as the Queens Color Run! boo, we'll have to find another Color Run Jenski.

      Delete