Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Tri and Tri again

On April 12th, almost 8 years after I did my very first Triathlon, I did my second and I must admit, not my last triathlon. I will also admit, that I was very nervous, I felt as I had felt almost 20 years ago when I swam at my very first Empire State Games/National Championship. I had made the games and National Champs in amazing fashion. I shocked everyone, including myself with my ability to just do it. I know one of my favorite "to do before I die" list items is an Ironman, and this small triathlon is a step in the right direction. (I suppose). I may never achieve that Ironman goal, but I sure won't fail at trying.

The weather was beautiful, perfect and the lengths of each leg were do-able. My goal was to go no slower than 1:05 (Hour Five Minutes). The swim was 400 meters, 6 mile bike and 2 mile run.  I was disappointed in my swim time, but rather impressed with my run time. My first transition, as you can see, wasn't something to be proud of. My mom was yelling at me the entire time to hurry up, which made me annoyed, and slightly distracted while I was trying to change quicker.

I felt really good on the bike, got my heart rate up to over 178 bpm, and kept it up there throughout the race. I had a hard time breathing, and my legs felt tired on the run, which really wasn't a run at all, more like a slow lame trot. either way, I finished. I finished in under an hour! (good lord that was a surprise).

I managed to finish 73rd overall, (out of 250+ people), and 13th out of 30 in my age group. BUT, I suppose the proud moment (mostly for my parents and husband), was finishing 2nd in my division, and getting a snazzy plaque. My parents and RB have seemed to be somewhat irritated with my lack of talking about this "accomplishment" but I can't help but to feel like I could have done better, and if I talk about it, it sounds like I am either patting myself on the back, or "bragging" to a certain extent. I guess I am slightly proud of myself, but it wasn't like I completed a marathon, an Ironman or a half Ironman at the very least.

The next triathlon I've signed up for is June 15th, father's day, and each leg is slightly longer than this past Triathlon. (500 meters open water swim, 10.5 mile bike, and a 3 mile run). I guess, I'll be tri-ing and tri-ing again. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the awesome finish! I can't wait to hear how the next one goes.

    ReplyDelete