Thursday, June 19, 2014

Happy Father's Day

I completed my second (of this year) Triathlon. It was on Father's Day, which seemed only fitting considering what kind of man my dad is. If you are a stranger and have no idea about my dad, I'll give a quick overview. My entire childhood was monopolized by swim meets for me, and Triathlons on weekends for him. Dad (and Mom for that matter) were always active, especially on warm spring, fall and summer days. To put it simply, Dad looks forward to June 21st every year because, "it's the longest day of the year Lynmittsky, from this day on, the days grow shorter, so I have to go for a 100 mile bike ride and enjoy the daylight to the fullest!"

So there you have it, being active is just inherited from these two, being stationary was never an option, which has always been interesting to me knowing that RB grew up in quite the opposite way. (Guess that's why we work).

It was only fitting that I do a triathlon, (500 meter open water swim, followed by a 10.5 mile ending with a 3 mile run), in honor of this man who taught me everything about training and fitness.  I felt pretty good in the freezing cold water, despite the fact that pretty much everybody was wearing a wet suit (wimps!), I probably could have gone faster, but it's the first leg, so I don't want to push it. As far as the bike, I know I could have been quicker. I had a flat in the front, and the weaving in and out of the business park area makes me slow down out of fear of wiping out. Lastly, the run, the dreaded portion of a triathlon for me, this is usually where everyone else excels; not me. This is the leg of the race where being 5th out of the water and having a decent bike leg, means virtually nothing. I get passed, easily. I can't complain however, I did average a little over 11 minute miles, which for me is huge, considering when I just do a run workout, I manage around 12 minute miles.

All in all, I finished 457th out of 600 people, 116th out of 195 women, 4th in my Division (Athena Division is women who weigh over 160 lbs) out of 7. Obviously, there is room for improvement in every way shape or form, but I did survive. I am thinking of doing an Olympic Distance race in September. (9/10th mile swim, 40k bike [25 miles], 10k run [6.2 miles]), Dad has even said, depending on how his elbow feels this summer, he might do it with me. Should be fun watching my 60 year old father beat me in a race. :-) I wouldn't have it any other way.


No comments:

Post a Comment