Sunday, June 17, 2012

what a day to be a dad.

my dad is working today. this blows. i mean, i am happy to hang out with my uncles however, fathers day, similar to mothers day, sucks as it is and now i don't even get to be with my own daddy. that's right i said daddy, because fuck you if you don't think that this man is not my fucking daddy, he was my daddy when i was 2, 10, 15, 25 and now 31, so fuck-off. sure when i talk to people i refer to him as "my dad" and when i talk to him i call him "daddy" majority of the time, same thing holds true for my mommy. my mom's dad died when she was 10, my dad's dad died when he was 28 and RB's dad died when he was 29, so, yeah, fuck off if you think i'm not going to call this man that i am lucky to have around still daddy. i digress...

father's day. another dumb holiday. forcing me to be places i don't want to be. i just want to be with my dad, like i need an excuse to be with him. this year fathers day has been combined with my aunt's birthday and my cousins daughters birthday. 3 birds, 1 stone. so, i guess it's safe to say that this father's day isn't really fathers day, its more like a family gathering with cake. so it works out, kinda.

my dad is very special to me, and that isn't to say that your dad isn't important or special to you. but growing up with both parents who lost both their fathers at a fairly young age i learned to cherish my dad early on. my dad has always been one of my favorite people and best friends. my dad has died once for a few minutes and been revived, he has broken his "damn-fool-neck" twice and lived to tell the tale, he has done at least 4 ironman triathlons, 3 half-ironman triathlons, and hundreds of other races. he's been a friend, an enemy, a supporter, and a protector. he's a hero, my hero, and i love him, more than i can ever conceive. RB not having his dad makes me love my dad even more. RB wants to spend father's day with his dad, but now that he can't, says he's so glad he gets to now spend it with my dad. my dad is a special man. you should love him, most people that know him do. but i don't need a day to love him more. i love him more and more every day i have my dad in this world with me.
happy father's day dad, and to all the daddy's, uncles, godfathers, cousins, friends, brothers, men, and women who take care of someone special in their life. thank you from me to you. i cherish you, all of you and i don't need a day... 

No comments:

Post a Comment