Wednesday, March 5, 2014

It's my BIRD DAY!

Happy Birthday to me!!

Today is my birthday also known as "All about Me day" and Bird Day for how my mom and dad say birthday since I was a kid, so it stuck. I often go back and forth with how I feel about my birthday. Sometimes I want it to go by and be another day, other times I want the love "to reign over me". Luckily, my wonderful RB has made the decision for me. He has decided to make sure I know everyday how important I am to him; so far I have received a gift a day (till Saturday when my family birthday party arrives), he has told me many lovely and wonderful things, and has taken my mind off some unexpected, interesting, shocking news. RB was so excited and sweetly woke me this morning to give me the goods! A lovely hand drawn on coffee mug - I love weird mugs- and tickets to see JT in July! Woot-Woot!

My birthday started with delicious pound cake, strawberries and whipped cream celebration cake on Saturday night with some of our wonderful friends and their awesome kids.

My friends at work took care of me! *Rebecca at work, is one of my good trustworthy friends, and a great person, literally sweet as pie and tough as leather! She baked an amazing cake, (which was all I ate for lunch after a 3 mile run) and I had some other close work friends sing and give me cards and well wishes, which is always so lovely, and meaningful to me. Rebecca also bought me amazing gifts that were completely unnecessary but always appreciated,(straight from my pinterest boards)! My para, and friend, took care of me as well with (more) cake and an awesome GC, with a very sweet card. (I heart cards).

I have this one student who is very sweet, he doesn't have much money, and he is genuinely a good kid. He obviously, comes from a tough background otherwise he wouldn't be a student of mine. He saved his allowance for the past month to buy me a gift and a card for today. He wrote a lovely note inside the card and even included an additional note of "Happy Anniversary" (as it is tomorrow). His mother even came to school today for a meeting and told us that he has a little crush on me, to which me and a friend at work weren't surprised. What a sweet, good kid, even if he hadn't done all that, the fact that he did is amazing, I'll be sad to see him move on to the 7th grade next year, and I don't think he will ever know how much his gesture truly meant to me, and how proud I am of who he is as a young man.*Good Teaching Moment*

As much as I am not a fan of facebook, (personally I like Instagram best), I reluctantly stay a member, and am always surprised by how many people say happy birthday. I get it that it pops up on their feed and such, but they can simply choose to ignore it and not say anything at all. So, when they do, it makes me feel good and loved, and I appreciate that.

I got so many wonderful text messages and 2 phone calls! Texts from people who I know have bigger things on their plate than my birthday and they take the time to text or call is amazing! And, although I will see my family over the weekend, I wish they (as a collective whole) would extend a little extra love, but I get how that might be asking for too much. I have bird day dinner with my wonderful parents, and RB, and I'm overly grateful for that.

My lady friends have sent me a surprise little something along with an etsy gift card, which is totally crazemazing, I'm not sure what to do with it!! I look forward to my extra little surprise.

As for tonight, as I said, dinner of my choice at my parents and cake. I love this dinner because I do not have to do a darn thing! plus, I don't feel guilty about not doing anything either. My parents could get me nothing, other than the wonderfully loving card my mom picks out and the flowers my dad is sure to have tucked under his arm for me, (happy birthday) and my mom (thank you for birthing my baby).

This coming Saturday will be the first time my whole family will be at our apartment for dinner. I am excited about it, I am excited to cook for them, and be home in my house. RB is looking forward to not having to drive and play cards.

I think I enjoy my birthday and hate it all at once because I feel guilty enjoying an "all about me day" but in the same breath I don't want it to end, so I almost prefer we ignore it. silly right?

Happy Bird Day to me, cheers to many years more, may they be happy!

2 comments:

  1. HBD. How fun to have a party in your home!!!! Also, I love the bokeh background...and that it's an alliteration.

    ReplyDelete