Tuesday, December 13, 2011

cheers to the holiday spirit!

i really enjoy sending and receiving mail. i send cards to my friends on a regular basis and notes to my grandparents. i don't mind writing out holiday cards. i especially enjoy sending my holiday cards to my friends who i know get a kick out of my funny, yet rude holiday cards. i take pleasure in taking the time to address each card, sign the card and even write a little note inside the card to let the people, which i am sending the cards to know that i took the time out to appreciate them. however, it has come to my attention in the recent of years that people, family included are fucking lazy and impersonal. i get it. limited time, limited funds, the joy and ease of computers, but c'mon people it's gone beyond the point of anything and everything i can take. (this isn't just for holiday cards, this goes for thank you cards as well).

it's great getting those nice little picture cards with peoples kids/families on them, but would it kill you to sign it? or at least write my name on it? i'm not saying that it isn't difficult to get that cute kid or dog or family of yours to sit still for a beautiful picture, or its super easy to work any of the numerous websites to create the photo card, i make calendars off those sites, but it becomes a little impersonal year after year after year. especially from people who don't have kids at all. (dogs count as "kids" in my book,  and i don't want to look at a picture of a couple). i got a card from a family member recently that the return address label was printed from a computer, my address was printed from a computer, the card was pre-printed as was the signature. the inside message was also pre-printed and there was no date and it wasn't addressed inside the card. now, i'm sure none of this seems that big of a deal to you all, but when you get card after card that is pre-printed, with nothing written on it you might as well be a stranger for cryin' out loud. 

this isn't a regular complaint, i'm just disappointed. i'm not saying you all should spend all that extra time, or am i patting myself on the back like that fucking student-teacher twit, but it's a holiday card. it would have been nice, at the very least, to read my name, or yours written inside the card you sent. (no one here is saying you need to write a note to everyone- but family deserves a note/ family-like friends deserves a note; all opinion). i guess on the other hand, i should just be happy you sent me a card at all. BUT when all this happens year after year, it makes me want to put you on that insignificant people list. 

i could always send a picture myself next year, which at this point, i'm totally thinking about doing, maybe i'll take a picture of my ass- it's a pretty sweet ass, it's gotta fucking elephant on it- pre-print a signature, pre-print a date, pre-print everything taking out everything that makes up the personality, the sweetness and all the specialness that i love about holiday cards, and mail those fuckers out; because currently, i don't feel like anyone actually appreciates their cards anymore. i feel like they do it because it's a custom. habit. like buying a shit load of unnecessary presents. 

please, don't take this the wrong way, i love my friends and my family, and i enjoy those picture cards, like i said earlier, would it be terribly difficult to sign it, or say 'hi'? but those extraneous people that get a card from me, won't be getting one next year, and i guarantee that they won't even notice. so maybe they are doing me a favor. in the same breath, i can't avoid sending family cards, but i can avoid being so giving and thoughtful in how i write my card. i guess that seems like it defeats the purpose but i'm tired of stressing, and getting myself worked up, doing so much for everyone else, and not getting back what i've been giving. 

i hate this about me; i'm uptight, i'm anxious, i'm wound to tight. i let too much bother me. by not doing so much, maybe i can unwind, be less anxious and not let the fact that maybe because people have decided to take, in my opinion, an easier/quicker route during the holiday season, piss me off, i can enjoy the little things. like writing my notes in my christmas cards, or write longer ones to the people that will still actually get one next holiday season. 

so for those who sent me a card this season (RB's old boss), who just signed her name and did nothing else, (i mean it, she signed her name), don't look for a card from me. if it's that important to RB, he'll send you one, it won't be coming from me, unless it's a picture of my elephant! 

No comments:

Post a Comment