Saturday, November 5, 2011

playing dress up at 30

in an attempt to find a decent halloween costume i played my favorite game, dress up! this game dates back to all the times that i have gone shopping with my mom, and continue to do so. the game entails trying on a ton of clothes for a good laugh and go home with nothing or going home with something you didn't expect to actually look good at all. in this case however, we weren't in a store instead we were home trying to, like i said, find me a decent halloween costume.

lucky for me, my dad works on a job where he can bring me home some costume items. he was able to bring me home multiple clothing items, a wig, and masks. i managed to get on my size 8 prom dress, put on that blond wig dad brought home and prance around the house with a masquerade mask on, pretending that i was something at a ball or gala. it was glorious and fun- but not comfortable and not something i could wear to work all day. next was an extremely short 1960's style Goldie Hawn "Laugh-in" go-go dress. so much color, i didn't dare wear it downstairs with my rear-end hanging out of the back of it, but man, it was fun. the boots were pretty fabulous too, but thick calves didn't allow for zipping so the look was pretty much out anyway. but i danced around my teenage room with my ass hanging out of the bottom of this "laugh-in" dress for a minute or two before my next costume change.  next came, this suit that resembled something that mr. furley might wear on "three's company" it was too small- but i pranced around my room for a while thinking of what i could do with that ridiculous looking thing as well. then came another outfit that didn't really fit, but i went for it anyway.

mom wore this dress on her 1976 honeymoon, a wrap dress, and she had these brown sandals that i had been hoarding in my room for years. i added the blond wig and a beret and headed downstairs to show off my best Chrissy impression from "three's company". "come and knock on our door, we've been waiting for you..." i sang. my parents and husband laughed hysterically at how ridiculous i looked, and my mom couldn't believe that i had these clothes. it was so much fun, we were all doubled over with laughter. then came tight clothes, a ridiculous belt, blond wig, bamboo earrings, bright red patent leather shoes, i called myself the temp. i looked absurd and white trashy to the extreme.

all in all, i ended up going to work on monday as a colleague. she was floored by my dead on impression of her, including her walk. everyone had a good laugh and i was very comfortable in my sweat pants and blond wig.

masquerade ball

go-go boots


i truly love playing dress up. i love putting on a show. i always wanted to be an actor. i just didn't want to be a working actor. i didn't want to wait tables, or go on auditions, it seemed like a lot of work that i wasn't willing to do. besides, i still get to play dress up with my mom, which is the best job i've ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment