Sunday, January 5, 2014

2014 First Edition

Happy New Year. I'd love to say that so many exciting things have happened over the last two weeks, alas, nothing too thrilling has occurred. With that being said, it has been 18 days since my last post, so you'll have to excuse the length/depth of this updated post.

Vacation began with unseasonably warm weather and a quick visit from a friend I haven't seen in a decade. It was great! I loved seeing her. I only wish I had more time to spend with her. We had dinner along with her sister who just recently moved to NYC from LA, we had some laughs and enjoyed our short time together. I guess I'll have to book a short getaway to Atlanta to have a slightly longer visit. The weekend also called for a celebration of my Omi's, formally known as Grandma, 85th birthday with a delicious brunch, which brought out some tearful moments, but also a grandpa I had never really experienced before. 

The entire weekend I felt nothing but nauseous, tired and had a serious lack of appetite, I was convinced I had a virus. But when it lasted longer than 3 days, I turned to the good old calendar. The waves arrival wasn't scheduled until Christmas, but I was lacking in the usual "hey hello there, tides rolling in..." types of feelings. So against my better judgement to usually wait, I took a test. To my surprise a faint double line showed up. (eeek). I text June and Jan and asked if I was imagining things, they both said no way. I was, truthfully, very excited. I showed RB the stick, and he said he didn't want to think about it because he didn't want to get his hopes up.  I was happy to feel the way I felt because I had the chance to produce a mini-me! It filled me with hope to be pregnant with June, and a friend of mine at work. Plus, what a great Christmas/Birthday present for RB, everything he's wanted since we got married almost five years ago, I mean seriously the man has been so patient and never forced me to feel negative about wanting to wait, or even be perfectly sure I wanted to pro-create.  RB and I discussed at length during lunch, after completing a Tattoo Cover-up that began in the beginning of the month (not sure of the possible affects on a "fetus"), what this could mean for us, how life will change and our feelings that coincide with it all, I didn't even have a beer at the Rangers Game as I normally would, just in case . The long and the short of it, 3 definitive negative tests and the tide rolled on in a day late, I got my poor husbands hopes up for nothing. I guess though, that he is relieved that I was excited about the prospect, this meant to him that his "dream" of a a family can happen with my help. 

Granted, again, I was disappointed, but I don't plan on changing my agenda. I plan on continuing "training" for a half marathon, and plan on taking trips, and getting more ink. I just feel  slightly more positive that I want to pro-create, and I have definitely found more love for my sweet, sweet husband after getting his hopes up and then dashing them. 

Christmas Eve, which is my favorite holiday ever because it is so quiet and intimate, was nothing short of perfect. Dinner with my three parents, and husband. Snuggling with my pup, and listening to the four of them play cards into the morning hours. This year I decided not to pretend to stay awake and watch them play cards, instead I laid on the couch watching Modern Family, napping intermittently until we left at around 2:30am. Christmas was filled with surprising joy, and usual exhaustion. We gave my Uncle (my other dad) a radio that his grandfather had years ago. It's not grandpa's radio per say, but it's the same model etc. I knew he'd like it, but I didn't know it would make him cry and tell me he loved me throughout the day. He even informed me that it was the best present he ever received. I have to admit, 1. It was never my intention to make him cry or to give him the best gift ever, obviously it is all a good thing but...2. I feel bad because I didn't bother to ask his daughter if she would have liked to give it to him. My mom said that he would have known immediately that I was the one who got it, and that I just pay attention to him because he is my other parent. My MIL took a little effort from me, but not as much as my cousin. I often have to remind myself to behave, and that the things that irk me aren't that big of a deal in reality. I survived, obviously, and Christmas was overall a lovely day. 

The rest of vacation continued as expected. days of errands, and days of hours of sleeping, eating and Netflix. RB's birthday arrived along with an exciting present all the way from Hawaii, I was so proud of myself for remembering and coming through on the awesome gift front. Sometimes, I do a shitty job, but this time, I scored big time.

We put pictures up in the apt, and purchased a dining room table, which makes our place feel more like home than any place ever before. I have spent the last 16 days with RB and wouldn't trade any minute of it for anything. Vacation's have been spoken about, nothing set or planned, but talks are always a good sign--- a Berlin, Prague, Parisian or Parisian, London, Scotland Easter is in the works. A February trip to New England has also been set up, and I'm working on a Baltimore, and Atlanta weekend. 



As usual, a family New Years Eve tradition continued this year with game playing, eating at midnight and RB playing bartender. My Aunt and Uncle drank along with RB and we laughed a lot. We weren't out too late, 2-3ish, and on New Years day, our youngest of traditions, but a tradition nonetheless, watching the Winter Classic. We love hockey and love watching 24/7 HBO documentary series on the upcoming Winter Classic teams. I had decided before school ended that it was silly to go back to that filthy "w" word, work for 2 days, so I was definitely taking the Friday after the new year off. After some extra laziness and snuggle time with RB on New Years day, I made it official, I wasn't going back till Monday, I was feeling a little under the weather
;-) it was only right I rest.

The Thursday that I played hookie, I managed to talk my mom into hookie too--- i mean, we were not feeling well in the morning, we needed some rest. The 4 of us, mom, dad, RB and myself had a day in the city playing tourist. We walked around the freezing streets of Manhattan, had lunch, went shopping, and enjoyed every minute.

Turns out our new Mayor, god-bless him, made the wonderful decision to close school on the Friday due to freezing temperatures and storm that dropped about a foot of snow on the city. So, in the end, I only had to use one of my days to help recuperate from my "eventful" vacation. Not for nothing though, between Christmas Eve, Christmas day, RB's and Omi's birthday AND New Years Eve, there really isn't that much relaxing, those days are almost like working days, up early and busy. I earned my days off, so did RB.

I warned you nothing life changing or earth shattering happened. I have simply been counting my blessings, enjoying my time and praying for the ability to recognize the miracles in my life. Happy 2014, may it bring you many miracles and joy. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, life.

    Pretty tattoo! I hope someday to hear about the mini-Rapunzel/RB on his/her way. That will make for a good reason to play hooky again. Here's to an exciting year, whatever it brings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post just made me feel so warm. Glad you had such a wonderful vacation with one of my favorite husbands ever. As for baby rapunzel, we will wait as long as it takes and love him or her with all our hearts. Miracles and Joy...here here!

    ReplyDelete