Monday, January 20, 2014

milestone kind of a year.

2014 is filled with a lot of relationship milestones. I'm not sure why  we do things in increments of 5, they seem to be more of a milestone than in increments of 6, or 7, also milestone worthy, but 5 seems to be the go to tracking method.

March will mark RB and I's first kiss, 10 years ago!! and on March 6th we will have been married for 5 years. This is a huge deal to me, because between years 2-4, it was kinda touch and go, this isn't to say that things are perfect, because there is no such thing, but, to be married 5 years, it is a milestone after all the bullshit that we put each other through during the first few years of marriage. It's very comforting to know that we pulled through some super hard times, and have found a groove, and how to properly deal with each other instead of slicing his throat while he sleeps just to watch him bleed. 

I am excited to celebrate this milestone. We aren't big on celebrating our anniversary or things like a "first" kiss, or valentine's day, but we do have our own versions of celebrating. for instance, for valentine's day we have kosher valentine's day and we go to dinner for our anniversary. Although, you will often find us out to dinner on the weekends, we try to make sure that our anniversary dinner is slightly more "fancy". We have decided to go to the same place we went to last year to celebrate, and I'm thinking that from now on, that will be our go-to anniversary spot. 

This July will be yet another milestone, it marks the 15th anniversary of RB and I meeting each other for the first time. Maybe one day I can get him to write his version of our meet-cute, but, for now you'll have to settle for mine. 

RB and I have an interesting story, and I'm not sure if I've ever told you my version of our meet-cute, forgive me if I repeat myself.

I met Rick* in the summer of 1997,  I was 16 and he was headed to college in the fall. We hung out for some of the summer, doing what a 16 year old and an 18 year old does. He left for school and met his roommate. The following summer, 1998, Rick began working at our locale toys r' us and became friends with this kid named Sam*, Sam was a hilarious character and provided much entertainment for the remainder of the summer. One night, Rick, Sam and a few other guys all hung out, they decided to invite Rick's roommate from college, who was supposedly a very funny individual, unfortunately I was grounded for doing something I probably shouldn't have, and couldn't go. I was mostly bummed because I was 17 and stuck at home, but also because I was tired of hearing all about Rick's roommate. The summer continued and I never got the chance to meet Rick's supposed hilarious roommate. Finally, the summer of 1999 arrived and everyone was home from college! One fateful evening I arrived at Sam's parents house, as we did every night in the summer, there was a new face there. Rick was no where to be found, but Sam was talking to this nerdy looking kid in a white t-shirt, khaki shorts, and open-button down collard shirt. After being introduced to RB, Sam did something stupid, to which RB said something ridiculously sarcastic and I simply couldn't stop laughing. That was it, it was our meet-cute, ever since then he's been making me laugh ridiculously everyday. People have come and gone, but we've stayed together.

I thought once that I didn't want things to change, and then I couldn't wait for things to to change. Now, I'm glad we've gone with the flow, and I love him more today than yesterday, but not as much as tomorrow (as corny as that sounds). I look forward to celebrating our next 5, 6, 7, 50 years, and I can't wait to continue to "ride the wave where it takes me". 

1 comment:

  1. Love your meet cute! I wish I remember exactly when I met Dingle, I know it was December of '96 but that's all I've got!

    ReplyDelete